You are here

OUR PATH TO SUSTAINABILITY.

OUR PATH TO SUSTAINABILITY.

"IMPROVING THINGS FOR PEOPLE & THE ENVIRONMENT. ONE NEVER GIVES UP ON THAT."

Alexander Kühnen, Heiner Opdenfeld, Christian Strey; Managing Directors

 

Sustainability is a tradition for us as – "The Veggie Company" – and a family business in its 10th generation. For 300 years, we have been producing delicious vegetarian products while working with nature and its goods. Now, we are pursuing this path with even more consistency. And we are setting out in our sustainability strategy what we want to achieve: Among other things, we are working on converting the few products that still contain meat into meat-free, so our portfolio becomes 100% vegetarian. Also we are aiming at turning our production into 100% CO2-neutral and at our packaging materials to be 100% recyclable.

Are we already doing everything right? Certainly not. But we are on the right track – and getting a little better every day.

Alexander Kühnen

Alexander Kühnen

Heiner Opdenfeld

Heiner Opdenfeld

Christian Strey

Christian Strey

Our goals

Reduce CO2 emissions

Reduce CO2 emissions

100% vegetarian products

100% vegetarian products

100% recyclable packaging

100% recyclable packaging

Helen Freund

"HOW CAN PICKLES BE CO2 NEUTRAL? LET ME EXPLAIN."

Helen Freund, Product Manager

Our "Pure" Cornichons and „All Natural“ Dressings are the first two climate-neutral products we have launched on the market ("balanced" CO2-neutrality, see below").
Climate-neutral - how does that work? Currently, ClimatePartner calculates how much CO2 is produced in the entire value chain, including production at a Kühne plant. We then offset these CO2 emissions by supporting climate protection programmes – for example, the Pará forest conservation project in Brazil.
This has already earned us what is known as balanced climate neutrality. But we want even more. Our goal is to achieve true climate neutrality. And we will be working towards this goal in the coming years. On the one hand, to reduce the CO2 emissions of our own processes and internal logistics - and to neutralise them where possible.

Alexander Witt

"100 % RECYCLABLE. A CRYSTAL CLEAR BENEFIT."

Alexander Witt, R&D Senior Packaging Developer

Over 95 % of our packaging is made of glass, which is fully recyclable. As for the remaining 5 %: we want to revamp those in the next few years. The goal: complete recyclability of our packaging.
Also, we want to further decrease the amount of packaging. One way we can reduce packaging is by using lighter packaging overall.
And in addition, we are also aiming to use at least 65% recycled materials or packaging made from renewable raw materials.

Bernhard Ulrich

"OUR MOST IMPORTANT RAW MATERIAL: TRUST."

Bernhard Ulrich, Category Manager Materials

We share a responsibility that spans generations. We have been working with 90 per cent of our contract farmers for decades. No wonder this results in a special trust among each other. As well as the knowledge that every product is impeccable from seed to harvest. Farmers from Germany are our first choice. We get almost half of our raw materials from them. However, since the climate plays an essential role in cultivation, we also work with farmers in other countries.

"WANT TO KNOW MORE? DROP US A NOTE."